Book Talk Review; The Sea of Tranquility

  The Sea of Tranquility by Katja Millay is my all time favorite book ever...
 This Book Talk will tell you why

I live in a world without magic or miracles. A place where there are no clairvoyants or shapeshifters, no angels or superhuman boys to save you. A place where people die and music disintegrates and things suck. I am pressed so hard against the earth by the weight of reality that some days I wonder how I am still able to lift my feet to walk.

Two and a half years after an unspeakable tragedy left her a shadow of the girl she once was, Nastya Kashnikov moves to a new town determined to keep her dark past hidden and hold everyone at a distance. But her plans only last so long before she finds herself inexplicably drawn to the one person as isolated as herself: Josh Bennett.

Josh’s story is no secret. Every person he loves has been taken from his life until, at seventeen years old, there is no one left. When your name is synonymous with death, everyone tends to give you your space. Everyone except Nastya who won’t go away until she’s insinuated herself into every aspect of his life. But as the undeniable pull between them intensifies, he starts to wonder if he will ever learn the secrets she’s been hiding—or if he even wants to.

The Sea of Tranquility is a rich, intense, and brilliantly imagined story about a lonely boy, an emotionally fragile girl, and the mira­cle of second chances.

I think the key words in the blurb tell a lot about the story already... the miracle of second chances

 That sums it up pretty well. Of course there is a lot that happens in this book that I can't even begin to cover in a few paragraphs filled with nothing but ramble...but I will try.

 So when we meet Nastya she is starting a new school and has mixed feelings about this. She loves the fact that she is sorta invisible..sorta because nobody knows who she is not really because she dresses like a wanton whore and so of course the whole school takes notice.
 She also has this thing where she doesn't talk at all..it is not that she can't its just that she has nothing to say.

 Enter Josh Bennett. At the age of seventeen Josh has had everyone he has ever loved taken away from him...taken away by death that is...so there is no one left. And when the people around you die off other people start to avoid you as well. Pretty sad right?

 You would think that Josh would be more screwed up than he really is.

 Nastya and Josh somehow make a friendship after Nastya drives herself into his life. That doesn't mean they are in insta love or anything they just barely tolerate each other somedays.

 This is a story about second chances and digs deep into the issues of both characters and makes it hard for the reader not to fall in love with them.

 I can't even tell you the emotions that I went through the first time I read this because i don't think that I had any. My mind was numb- I was completely and utterly numb while reading this book the first time around.
 This book completely fucked with my mind.

 The second time that I read this however I cried hard and fast. I went through emotions like crazy and they just kept coming and coming even after I was finished reading.

 There is humor in this. It is not all despair and tragedy... Katja does a good job to make us laugh while we are crying.

 This book tell the story of a boy and a girl both equally damaged, both with tragic stories, both with broken souls, but it is also a story of healing and forgiveness, and strength, and love- learning to love yourself and letting others learn to love you.

 I recommend this book to anyone.

 *Quotes-  I know at that moment what he's given me and it's not a chair. It's an invitation, a welcome, the knowledge that I am accepted here. He hasn't given me a place to sit. He's given me a place to belong. - Nastya
 We haven't become normal; we've become expected. And not just by everyone at school. I've come to expect us, too. I expect her. I expect her here. I expect her at home. I expect her in my life. And it's terrifying." - Josh

 Those quotes post so much of what kind of torment they are going through. Nastya thinks she has no place to belong until Josh. And Josh has come to expect her in his life. he hates it because everyone else he expected left him alone. It scares him.

Go buy this book read it, breathe it, love it.

This book is worth it...so worth it

Best book I have Ever read. In. My. Entire. Life. EVER!

Come back tomorrow for a new Book Talk Author and my Book Talk Review on Deception by B.C. Burgess on four days of B.C. Burgess!

 *Notice If you missed my Book Talk on Katja Millay just go here to see it: http://realtalkbooktalk.blogspot.com/2014/01/book-talk-katja-millay.html

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Release; Feeble Connections

Release; Viper

Release; Homegrown Hero