Book Talk Review; MockingJay

 The third book in The Hunger Games Trilogy by Suzanne Collins...

 MockingJay



 
  
 "My name is Katniss Everdeen. Why am I not dead? I should be dead."
 
 Katniss Everdeen, girl on fire, has survived, even though her home has been destroyed. 
  
 Gale has escaped. Katniss's family is safe. Peeta has been captured by the Capitol. 
 
 District 13 really does exist. There are rebels. There are new leaders. A revolution is unfolding.

It is by design that Katniss was rescued from the arena in the cruel and haunting Quarter Quell, and it is by design that she has long been part of the revolution without knowing it. 
 
  District 13 has come out of the shadows and is plotting to overthrow the Capitol. Everyone, it seems, has had a hand in the carefully laid plans--except Katniss.

 The success of the rebellion hinges on Katniss's willingness to be a pawn, to accept responsibility for countless lives, and to change the course of the future of Panem. To do this, she must put aside her feelings of anger and distrust. 
 
 She must become the rebels' Mockingjay--no matter what the personal cost.
 
 This book held so much. It held so much emotion, it held so much torture, it held so much fear, it held so much survival. It held so much lost hope. 
 
 After Catching Fire Katniss tries to pick up the broken pieces that the Games have left her in. But with Peeta gone, with him captured by the Capitol and with her home destroyed, Katniss is just floating on the emptiness. 
 
 Some people didn't like how "weak" Katniss seemed during the first part of MockingJay. I think it made her more human. If you could only imagine, even though it's fiction what she had gone through in the past year alone. Two Games, that means two years of being forced to kill others before they killed you. Being threaten by the Government, being torn apart by the things you've seen and the things you've done. 
 
 I can understand where Katniss comes from in the book. 

 District 13 is out of the Shadows, they have officially declared war on the Capitol. Katniss is thrust into the position of being the "face" of the revolution. 

 I don't fault Katniss for acting the way she did during the first part of the book. I can understand where she is coming from. Even though we get inside of her head I don't think we see all the emotions that could be there if it was "real". 

 It doesn't seem to matter much to District 13 or the rest of the Districts that are involved with the war that she is a person. To them they will use her as a pawn. To excite the rebels, to enrage the Capitol. To give a new symbol of hope to the civilians. 

 The brutality of the Capitol goes far deeper than we first imagined. Even though we got a taste of what it was like in the first two books, even though we thought about all the other things the Capitol must have had a hand in. The things that are revealed in this book show more than just a corrupt Government. It shows a corrupt society, and it shows one of the pure evils of human nature at it's worst. 

 I can recite from memory the last part of the last chapter of the book verbatim. I have only read the book once, but the end of the last chapter before the Epilogue hit me so hard and affected the way I viewed the characters at the end that I have just store it away in my mind.  

 The last chapter or so, the last two chapters and the Epilogue are just etched into my mind so deep becasue of the impact they have on me as the reader and the impact they have on the story. 
 
 This book is such a good one. Like the other two there are somethings that I don't agree with. Somethings that Katniss says or does that I don't like but I do understand why she did them or said it. 
 
 I never was such a big person on Dystopian Novels, but this is one that has such a gripping plot point that it just sucked me in right away. 
 
 For...
 
 
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Release; Feeble Connections

Release; Homegrown Hero

Release; Viper