Book Talk Review; Want

I shouldn't love this, but I do. So much


For years, Rex Mirza has been controlling every aspect of his twin brother’s life. Using the fact that Tavi is a magicless witch — a mere human — in a family of powerful witches, he has justified every harsh treatment. All of it is only for Tavi’s own good, of course. How could a human possibly know what was best for him?

When Tavi gets the chance to turn the tables on his brother, will he take it? Or will he take the punishment Rex says is due for trying to run away?

*This is a dark, taboo tale with several kinks that may offend or trigger some readers, including (but not limited to) age play, ABDL, and humiliation. Not every dynamic or element is 100% consensual.

*

I have to warn y'all. This is not my normal read. At all. For the past few months I've been dipping into the dark side. My mental health couldn't handle the normal hearts and roses or emotional reads. So I went looking for something way off the beaten track. I found it and I fell in love. 

If dubcon/noncon, Age Play, humiliation, ABDL, and many other taboo topics aren't for you back away. If you don't understand people who can like this type of book back away. We will not tolerate hate on this page. 

*

I haven't been a fan of R. Phoenix long. In truth I've only read three books by her. They were very different from this one, though had similar tones. When she first started talking about Want all I knew was that I had to have this book. 

Want is a book that has a bunch of taboo subjects. I don't know if I can name them all. In truth I don't want to. It's the type of book you have to go into with a very open mind and experience.  I'm okay with all the tropes used in this book. There is only one that has me iffy. But that's because I used to have a strong moral compass. As a reader I'll try anything once, and well I tried this particular trope a few times before and it doesn't bother me as much as it probably should. In fact I love it. Not that I'll admit it to certain people. To be honest Book Talkers, I can't even say it because, yeah, morals. However, I'm already going to hell so *shrug*. 

Tavi is magic-less, born into a family of witches, he's pretty much a human. in fact they have him registered as a human slave because of his status. 

Rex is Tavi's twin brother and has been "protecting" him by keeping him basically locked away in his house. Until Tavi turns the tide on Rex and gives him a taste of his own medicine. What starts out as revenge turns into more. 

Tavi is in a catch 22 position. While Rex deserves everything Tavi eventually puts him through he feels guilty. After all that's his brother. He begins to understand how Rex felt keeping him locked up "for his own good". Just like Rex begins to understand how Tavi felt being treated the way he was. 

Tavi does things that both confuses and excites him. He has the freedom to choose now, something he never had before. You can feel his struggle as he tries to make each choice. He wants revenge. Though he knows what it feels like to be on the receiving end. He finally has the choice to dictate the way his life goes. His confusion is valid. After so long I can only imagine how relieved and terrified he is.  

R. Phoenix has a talent to make the taboonot acceptablebut highly enjoyable. You forget that maybe you shouldn't like what is happening because the characters and the plot-line is so immersive. This trilogy is set in her Fate Of The Fallen series and it's such an established world it's easy to believe and enjoy what you're reading.  

If you want to open your mind up to something on the far end of the spectrum try this book. It's good. It's dirty and probably wrong but I don't care. Want is deliciously fucked-up and I cannot wait for the next book. There's so many directions this can go, I'm excited to see which one Tavi and Rex take. 

*Quote- 

"There was only so long you could resist someone else's absolute control before giving in, after all, and Rex wasn't immune to falling." 

"He chose it, and that made it different, better, okay even." 

"That's where people get it wrong, you know. They think it's...About actual children. It's not. It's about...It's about power and humiliation and discipline, or...Or it could be about you letting go, baby boy. You've had to be the responsible one for so long. Don't ou want to let go, just be for a little bit? Let me take care of you for a change?" 
  
-Abri   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Release; Feeble Connections

Release; Viper

Release; Homegrown Hero