Book Talk Review; The Law Of Moses

 New Book Talk. An emotional journey that rips you in to pieces.


 
  
  If I tell you right up front, right in the beginning that I lost him, it will be easier for you to bear. You will know it’s coming, and it will hurt. But you’ll be able to prepare.

  Someone found him in a laundry basket at the Quick Wash, wrapped in a towel, a few hours old and close to death. They called him Baby Moses when they shared his story on the ten o’clock news – the little baby left in a basket at a dingy Laundromat, born to a crack addict and expected to have all sorts of problems. I imagined the crack baby, Moses, having a giant crack that ran down his body, like he’d been broken at birth. I knew that wasn’t what the term meant, but the image stuck in my mind. Maybe the fact that he was broken drew me to him from the start.

  It all happened before I was born, and by the time I met Moses and my mom told me all about him, the story was old news and nobody wanted anything to do with him. People love babies, even sick babies. Even crack babies. But babies grow up to be kids, and kids grow up to be teenagers. Nobody wants a messed up teenager.

  And Moses was messed up. Moses was a law unto himself. But he was also strange and exotic and beautiful. To be with him would change my life in ways I could never have imagined. Maybe I should have stayed away. Maybe I should have listened. My mother warned me. Even Moses warned me. But I didn’t stay away.
 

 And so begins a story of pain and promise, of heartache and healing, of life and death. A story of before and after, of new beginnings and never-endings. But most of all...a love story.

 This is such a powerful book, it is one that hooked me right from the beginning. It's messed up, it's real, it's such a great read. 

 This is the first book I've read by Amy Harmon, it was a book I wasn't sure about. I am so glad that I read this book, it is one of my favorite books of 2014. 

 Moses moves to the small country town where he meets Georgia, a horse trainer with dreams of living the life of a cowgirl. 

 Right away Georgia is drawn to Moses, but there is something about him that isn't quiet right. Everyone warns her away from him, they warn her to stay away and forget about the strange boy with more problems than solutions. 

 But Georgia and Moses are drawn to each other, and they begin a whirlwind romance that has the power to destroy them both. 

 Moses has some unique characteristics, he has something that nobody else has (no spoilers) 

 This book is one that keeps you guessing, you know that something is going to happen, the suspense is there, but you don't know what is exactly going to happen, you just know that something is. And that is an element that I admire in my books. I love books that can keep me guessing, books that can keep the suspense going.

 This is a love story, but it is also a story about life, and finding your way, finding out who you are behind all the judgement, because people are going to judge you, they are going to talk, but that doesn't mean that you have to listen, that is something the characters in the book have to learn. 

 Watching Georgia and Moses fall in love is something different all together, neither want to be friends at first, they are attracted to each other, but have their own reasons to stay away. But when they do, they don't get a normal relationship, they get a relationship full of pain and longing, but also full of love. So much love, neither knows how to love the other, but somehow through all the crazy, they're able to find each other. And that is something special and deep. 

 This book is challenging and at times hard to read, but the writing is compelling, the mystery is there, the love is there, and all the difficult parts suddenly become easier. 

 *Quote- "A story of before and after, of new beginnings and never-endings. A story flawed and fractured, crazy and cracked, and most of all, a love story. Our story." - Georgia

               "You're afraid of the truth, Georgia. And people who are afraid of the truth never find it." -Moses

For Amy's Author Talk:http://realtalkbooktalk.blogspot.com/2014/12/book-talk-amy-harmon.html

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Release; Feeble Connections

Release; Viper

Release; Homegrown Hero