Book Talk Review; Destined For An Early Grave

It's time to step back into the world of Cat and Bones...























 Her deadly dreams leave her in grave danger

 Since half-vampire Cat Crawfield and her undead lover Bones met six years ago, they've fought against the rogue undead, battled a vengeful Master vampire, and pledged their devotion with a blood bond. Now it's time for a vacation. But their hopes for a perfect Paris holiday are dashed when Cat awakes one night in terror. She's having visions of a vampire named Gregor who's more powerful than Bones and has ties to her past that even Cat herself didn't know about.

 Gregor believes Cat is his and he won't stop until he has her. As the battle begins between the vamp who haunts her nightmares and the one who holds her heart, only Cat can break Gregor's hold over her. She'll need all the power she can summon in order to bring down the baddest bloodsucker she's ever faced . . . even if getting that power will result in an early grave. 


 What else can I say about Cat and Bones? This is the fourth book in their epic love story, and this is the one that truly tests their relationship. This is the one that truly matters, because this one is all about trust. 

 Cat and Bones have fought many foes together. They've been through so much in their short time together. They have loved each other for six years, but have physically only been together for a little over a year of them. 

 And now they're relationship is being tested. This part of Cat and Bones's story takes them down a path they never thought they would go down. 

 In this book, their love for each other is truly put to the test. This is the hardest book to read. 

 Cat and Bones decide to take a break, they want to have just a few days of normalcy. Which doesn't happen when you're a former vampire hitman and a half-vampire former undead hunter. 

 A ghost from the past comes to haunt them- only this time he's from Cat's past. A past that she didn't know she had. 

 Bones and Cat's relationship is on the line this time. Everything they built together can come crashing down around them. 

 We all know that Cat and Bones have built their relationship on rocky shores at best. They both had set notions going into their relationship. They are both stubborn as hell. They both want to protect those they love. 

 Cat and Bones will have to learn how to love each other without anything between them. 

 Cat still has prejudices. After all this time, she still holds on to some of the beliefs she was taught at a young age. And it could just mean the end of them. 

 I'll be honest. This is the book that I dreaded reading. This is the one that tested me. Because it tested two of my all time favorite characters. After all the shit they had to endure in the past. Now they have to work on defeating a enemy they didn't know they had, while trying to keep their marriage alive. 

 When I started my reread of this series I seriously did not want to get to this book. I knew I had to face it, but I didn't want to. It hurt my heart. I listened to the audio book, and hearing what transpires is even worse than reading it. 

 There's a scene in this book that everyone who has read it hates. It's that one scene that appears in countless romance books. The one that drains you of all of you energy. The one that makes your heart hurt and your eyes burn from unshed tears. Reliving that scene hurt. Even more so since I knew what was coming.       

 And then, the moment we were all waiting for happened. The turning point of this novel was done beautifully. I loved how Cat and Bones found their way back to each other. They both admitted to their flaws (Cat mostly) they both realized that the other would never, and could never change. They both realized just how in love they were. 

 So while this isn't my favorite book in the series, it is an important one in the story of Cat and Bones. It shows just how far they've come in their relationship, and how far they still have to go. 

 *Quote- "This isn't the first time I've faced death, Kitten, and I don't intend it to be the last. I've chosen o live a very dangerous life, but this is who I am. It's who you are, too, and the same would be true even if we'd never met." -Bones

              "So I did the only thing I could do to show how much I wished things were different. I dropped my shields, opening my mind to let Bones hear everything I was feeling, stripping myself naked of all the things I normally used to rationalize my actions." -Cat

              "All I've got is how I live. How I die? That's the problem for the guy who kills me." -Tate

             "Fear. Crispin's always prided himself on his emotional control, yet he has none with you. He's never before experienced the fear of losing the person he loves to someone else." -Spade

For

 Jeaniene's Author Talk: http://realtalkbooktalk.blogspot.com/2015/01/book-talk-jeanine-frost.html

 Halfway To The Grave's Book Talk: http://realtalkbooktalk.blogspot.com/2015/01/book-talk-review-halfway-to-grave.html


 One Foot In The Grave's Book Talk: http://realtalkbooktalk.blogspot.com/2015/04/book-talk-review-one-foot-in-grave.html 


 At Grave's End Book Talk: http://realtalkbooktalk.blogspot.com/2015/12/book-talk-review-at-graves-end.html



IMPORTANT NOTE TO READERS: 


There is a specific reading order for the Night Huntress series, including all other Night Huntress World series books, and some novellas. If you do not read them in the Author's suggested reading order (below), other than 'Reckoning', the books will not make sense, or you will read spoilers. The author's recommended reading order is:
RECKONING (eBook prequel novella set in Bones’s point of view before he meets Cat*) though I would recommend reading this after Book 1 so that you know the characters...
 
HALFWAY TO THE GRAVE (Book 1: Night Huntress Series)
 
ONE FOOT IN THE GRAVE (Book 2: Night Huntress Series)
 
HAPPILY NEVER AFTER (eBook novella*)
 
AT GRAVE’S END (Book 3: Night Huntress Series)
 
DEVIL TO PAY (eBook novella*)
DESTINED FOR AN EARLY GRAVE (Book 4: Night Huntress Series)
 
MAGIC GRAVES (eBook anthology featuring a Cat and Bones story*)
FIRST DROP OF CRIMSON (Night Huntress World novel)
 
ETERNAL KISS OF DARKNESS (Night Huntress World novel)
THIS SIDE OF THE GRAVE (Book 5: Night Huntress Series)
ONE GRAVE AT A TIME (Book 6: Night Huntress Series)
THE BITE BEFORE CHRISTMAS (contains a long Cat and Bones novella, “Home for the Holidays”)
ONCE BURNED (Book 1: Night Prince Series)
 
TWICE TEMPTED (Book 2: Night Prince Series)
UP FROM THE GRAVE (Book 7: Night Huntress Series)
BOUND BY FLAMES (Book 3: Night Prince Series)

-Abri   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Release; Feeble Connections

Release; Homegrown Hero

Release; Viper