Book Talk Review; Protecting Shaylee

The Second book I had to read this month is...



Shaylee

As a child, I believed in the fairytales my father told me.
Until he was gone and with him, that belief.
 
As a girl, I believed in the friendship and protection of Aden.
He made me begin to believe again.
 
As a woman, I believed in the possibility of love and passion between myself and Aden.
 
Until he was gone and with him, my belief in magic and happy endings.


Aden

When she was a child, I was tasked with her protection.
As a girl, I became her friend.
 
As a woman, I could no longer see the child I knew and was forced to fight a growing attraction.
 
Unable to lie and unable to tell the truth, I left.
 
Now I’ve returned to give the knowledge I couldn’t before, that she is half Fae.
 
The darkness is stalking her and I am desperate to teach her what she needs to know to protect herself.
 
And determined to make her mine.


*Part of a series, while it can be read as a standalone, the story continues to build through the following books.
 
**Recommended for 18+ due to sexual content and language
 
*** Approx 73,000 words, this is a full length novel.

*

This is the first book I've read by Elle Christensen, and I can honestly say that I would read another. 

I really enjoyed the setup, the way that the author set us up for the world of Fae in the prologue was really cool. 

Shaylee and Aden were amazing together, they fit together so perfectly. A good balance for each other. 

I've been on a fantasy kick for about a month now, and was so excited to have it fulfilled with a book about Faeries, something I haven't dived into in a long time. 

Though I felt that some of the Fae parts were pushed aside so that there could be more time for the hot scenes. Not that I'm complaining. I enjoy a hot and sexy scene as much as the next girl. But I felt that we missed out a lot on the 'boring' parts. 

We heard about how well Shaylee's Fae training was going, but we didn't see a lot of it. Something that I would have liked to see. 

And the pacing was a little fast for me. I was at fifty percent in the book and only a week had passed, that was a little disheartening. I'm a details kind of girl, I don't mind longer chapters and/or scenes because the author decides to show us more of the world they created. 

But those are my only complaints. Otherwise the book was fantastic. I could picture the look of Rien, with the amount of detail Elle put into describing the buildings, and the way they streets, or the outdoors looked. 

Shaylee, had this sort of weird t-shirt humor fetish, that I loved. I enjoyed reading everyone of her shirts. It was hilarious. 

Aden, was the perfect mixture of sweet and alpha. A lot alpha. Which I enjoy, a lot. I love a hot man who can take charge and knows exactly what he wants, especially in the bedroom.

I was a little upset with Aden for a while, (no spoilers) he wanted to keep a few important things for Shaylee and I so did not agree with him. 

All-in-all I can't complain. Elle Christensen impressed me with her story telling skills, and I will very happily read more books by her. 

*Quote- "It is common among humans to see things not as they are, but as what thier imaginations perceive them to be. Experiences are romanticized, and folklore is created."  
"For within a lie, there is always a kernel of truth." 
"This room was made for us. Not him, not me, but for us."  

 -Abri

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Release; Feeble Connections

Release; Homegrown Hero

Release; Viper