Book Talk Review; B-Sides And Rarities

Insanity at it's finest. 


Peeking into the head of a writer is like opening the door to a room filled with lunatics, villains, and demons—all running amuck while screaming at exactly the same time. In other words, complete chaos. Most days, authors are able to quieten those voices in their head and focus on the ones who yell the loudest. They are able to clutch onto the hand of the most important character and pull them from the fray. But what happens when they’re all screaming much too loudly? What happens when they all speak at once and they pull the author into the depths of their fiery hell? Writer’s block, that’s what. Have you ever wondered why an author jumped into a different story while in the middle of a series you’ve been following or why they are taking too long to release or why they’ve gone genre hopping? Well, I’ll tell you why. They’re in hell. The hell of their own mind. In most cases, the writer will open new documents and tell portions of these character's stories if only to shut them up for a while. Other times, it’s because the author simply needs to feel useful or productive when their work in progress has come to a screeching halt. Regardless of the reason, you can ask just about any writer in this world and they’ll show you right to a folder on their desktop or a notebook of many scribblings of unfinished stories. This is our therapy. Our coping mechanism. And most days, as a reader, you’re only welcome into the world of our stunning, finished works of art we’ve spent months and months agonizing over. The beautiful final product of our blood, sweet, tears, and insanity. Nobody ever lets you in to see what wasn’t ever meant for the world. The imperfect. The incomplete. The utter madness. Nobody would ever share that with the world, right? Well, they’d have to be a little crazy. They’d have to be me.

 *** WARNING: This is a collection of incomplete stories. Some end abruptly, almost as quickly as they started. Others let you sink your teeth in just a bit before pushing you away. A couple will leave you pulling at your hair and cursing for more. In this collection, it’s all about beginnings…there are no climaxes or epic endings. It’s madness I tell you! Enter at your own risk.   

*

I already knew that K Webster wasn't 'normal'. Her brain works on a different frequency than others. She's a risk taker, she's not afraid of the madness. 

But that is what makes her brilliant. That is what makes me crave her books. 

This is something that any author would have to be insane to put out there. Which is why, K is the perfect one. 

There are twelve 'Tracks' along with something special at the end (not telling). So I can't really give you an actual review. 

And honestly, there isn't much for me to review. These aren't full stories. They don't have anything to praise. They're not even halfway finished. But, they are still amazing. 

I want every single one of them to be a book so I can read them and properly give them a review. Each book deserves to be recognized for what it is. 

K is brilliant, I already knew that, she is crazy, something I also knew. But with this anthology she showed just how brilliant, just how crazy. 

You can't really call these short stories, because most of them end abruptly, but the few that have more to them, I guess they are partly short stories. 

There were a few that ended at the worst moment, I turned the page and was like, "What the fuck?! I need more!" 

I've always wanted to know how other writers thought, being one myself, I wondered if they were just as neurotic, just as insane as I was. 

And apparently they are, or at least, K is. And that makes me love her more. Because she showed a side of her that you normally don't get to see. She shows you what writers go through. She shows us into her madness. And I appreciate and respect that. 

We all try to hide the 'crazy' parts of ourselves from the outside world. I know I try my hardest to keep my crazy from others. 

K embraces it. She allows us to see into her mind, at least partway. She allows us to wonder what could be. 

You have to respect someone like that. She's not afraid.

B-Sides and Rarities is unique, just like the woman who created it. I hope we get at least one of these amazing stories fully. 

Until then, I will continue to devour everything written by her. 

-Abri


I love K Webster but I was going crazy reading this book. 

In this book we get inside K's head, and of her endless possibility. This is a series of shorts stories. I found myself at time asking myself WTF i want more. I personally cant say which one is better, in my opinion I would love to have them all completed. every track just shows how much potential K Webster has. 


If you always wanted to get inside an author head, and see what they come up with well this is the perfect time. In this book you'll have a few choices to see where her mind can travel and the stuff only she can come up with.  everytime I read anything from this author i am blow, away, even if its bits and pieces. it just amazes me, her side of creativity and how I fall in love every time with her books.

-Chantal

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Release; Feeble Connections

Release; Homegrown Hero

Release; Viper