Book Talk Review; A Love Made Whole


The Evil Word Magician strikes again! 


Calvin and Graham Silver used to be in love.

The spark in their eleven year marriage is gone, and they're struggling to regain a hold on their life together. Living apart and facing their end, Calvin makes an announcement Graham never saw coming.

He's seeing someone new.

Calvin's admission paves the way for Graham to pursue Emory Edgewood, a charming younger man he hasn't been able to get out of his head. It doesn't matter to Graham that Emory is seeing someone else, but he doesn't know Emory's other man is his husband.

Wanting to have his cake and eat it too, Emory tries to bring both men he's seeing together, only to have it end with disastrous consequences. His home life and love life are spiraling out of control. Emory thinks he has no one to turn to, but that couldn’t be further from the truth.

Because Calvin and Graham are in love again…but this time, with him.

*

A Love Made Whole is perfect. It's a book about relationships and how fucking hard they are and what it takes to make it work. 

Graham and Calvin are struggling, they love each other but they're not as in love with each other as they used to be. Something in their relationship changed. Watching the two of them struggle broke my heart and I cried quite a few tears over them. 

Emory is lovely. He's also lonely. Very lonely. He's used to people using him for his last name, a name that feels more like a burden than apart of him. Until he meets two men who show him that it is possible for someone to love him for him. 

Because of the way people have treated him in the past and his upbringing Emory doesn't do relationships. He also doesn't sleep with people whom he can see himself in a relationship with. It's easier to deal with the heartbreak if you don't let yourself get too close. And then he meets Graham and Calvin, two men who seem very different, but unbeknownst to Emory, have a connection that is coming apart. 

My heart broke for all of them when what should have been a fun experience went sideways and all the emotions between the three of them came out. 

I cried through a sex scene because there were so many feels there, both good and bad. I've never done that before and it just shows just how brilliant the Evil Word Magician is. 

These three needed each other. Graham and Calvin needed Emory to show them that they didn't lose each other, they just needed to find each other again. Emory needed Graham and Calvin to show that he was worth more than his last name. In the end, through all the pain and tears, they found the love that they desperately needed. 

When I started reading this book I was scared. I don't trust Kate Hawthorne with throuples. She's written two books previous that made me cry—a lot. So when I started this book I was a little cautious. While this book didn't kill me, it has angst and I did cry a few times. Though just to show off the brilliance of the writing I will say I went from crying over heartbreak to crying from hope in a few paragraphs. There aren't many authors who can do that to me. There's a reason Kate is my Evil Word Magician. She just knows how to bring everything out of me.

This book is about a couple who forgot how to be a couple. It's about how hard relationships are. It's about finding what you need to make sure your love lasts a lifetime. It's easy to become complacent like Graham and Calvin. It's harder to figure out how to not only get that back but to keep it. Emory didn't fix them, but he did open their eyes to what they were missing. It was beautifully written.

I want to read A Love Made Whole again. That rarely happens, but this is one of those books that I know I can read over and over again and still feel all of the same emotions no matter how many times I experience them. It's only been a few hours since I finished, but I don't want to let these characters go. I also can't wait for the next book. Secrets in Edgewood is an amazing series and I never want it to end.

*Quote-

"You need to learn to find happiness in the little things."

"Emory realized for the first time in his life, he was completely alone and not in a voluntary way. Wetness pricked the backs of his eyelids and he blinked away tears, swiping at his eyes with a shaking hand. This wasn't a life he'd planned or that he'd wanted. He'd felt forced into it by his father, by his name, by his own fear, and he was tired of it. He wanted more. He wanted Calvin and Graham."

"The two of you belong together...You belong together, but that doesn't mean I don't want you both."

"His heart pumped differently when he thought of the way he loved Emory. Not that it was better than the way he loved Calvin, but more like the beats that existed for Calvin were now completed with Emory there. Graham covered his heart with his hand and rubbed at his chest, feeling the sturdy and resilient thumping resonate against his palm."


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Release; Feeble Connections

Release; Viper

Release; Homegrown Hero