Book Talk Review; Only See You

I think I found my new favorite book


“I might not be every gay man’s wet dream, but I always get a second look.”

Mal Copol knows who they are: Nonbinary. Awesome. Exhausted. They won’t change for anyone, but just once, they’d like to be the one with relationship potential, not the hookup. Also, not having to fight employers on who they are and how they present themselves would be nice. And while they’re at it, add not getting raised eyebrows at their high heels and tasteful makeup while discussing their latest rock-climbing trip to the wish list. Is that really too much to ask?

“Here I am at twenty-seven, embarking on life, version 2.0.”
Parker McWilliams is breaking free from the constraints of his former life and wife. He’s recapturing his zest to try new things and experience everything to the fullest, instead of the complacency he had fallen into over the past nine years. If one of those “new experiences” happens to be with a certain beautiful and intriguing nonbinary person, well, Parker’s just going to roll with it. Anything contrary to his past life is a good thing.

Mal and Parker keep surprising each other every time they meet. Despite their differences, neither has any interest in fighting their attraction. But when circumstances threaten to keep them apart, the couple must decide if that attraction is enough to overcome the obstacles they face.

*

I have to preface this with what non-binary means. A person who identifies as non-binary is someone who is neither female or male. They pronouns are used in reference to someone who is non-binary. And like Mal they are typically comfortable in a skirt and heels as they are in T-shirts and comfort clothes. 


Book Talkers, this book is one of my favorite books of 2018 so far. I have never read one a book with a non-binary character before and I was a little worried that the use of 'they' pronouns would throw me off. Not the case. JD Chambers has a way of writing in which everything just flows seamlessly. I saw it in Only With You and it is the same with Only See You.  

I didn't expect Mal and Parker to be a thing, but they work out so well. I was hesitant Parker would need longer to come to terms with who he is, but that wasn't the case, at least not entirely. He does have struggles with the ex-from-hell, and his family is like Zach's was in the first book i.e. not winning any parent of the year awards. 

Mal is probably my favorite character in the Only Colorado series. It was Zach but they wormed their way into my heart with the first page. I'll admit it I cried. Books with characters who have those 'aha this is who I am' moments always get to me. Mal's came early and I was crying within minutes of opening the book. 

Mal and Parker meet when they move Zach out of the apartment he shared with his best friend Ben and moved Parker into it. Right away there's attraction, on both sides. I loved how slowly they got to know each other. The feelings came fast, though neither one of them were ready to admit it until later on, but they still took their time. 

Parker goes through a lot, with his ex-bitch and his parents. Mal is there for him. They're supportive and big-hearted and love Parker. The two of them together are exactly what the other needs. 

I did tear up again, early one, Mal had said something that hit me right in all the feels and my heart went out to them. All they want, all they need is someone to love them for who they are both inside and out and that is what Parker does. Parker sees Mal. And Mal sees Parker. Together they are what love is supposed to be about. 

The next book in this series couldn't come soon enough, I am addicted to JD Chambers. 

*Quote-

“You are beautiful, inside and out...You look down for no one...Now, however you want to look, whatever you want to wear, whoever you want to be, you do it. And you own that shit. Because that’s what makes you special and unique and you."  -Mal's Mom

"I’ve learned lately that keeping silent is just as bad as being the bully." -Parker

"It has been years since someone’s kiss took my breath away and made my chest feel weightless and soaring. I thought that it was only when I was younger and inexperienced that I had those sensations, but here he is, making my skin tingle everywhere his touch lingers." -Mal   

"If nothing else, never forget that I see you, Mal. And I love every bit that I see." -Parker 

-Abri 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Release; Feeble Connections

Release; Homegrown Hero

Release; Viper