Book Talk Review; Twinkle Toes


I'm crying tears of joy 


America has a new sweetheart – and he comes wearing sequins... 

Figure skater Andy Robbins, called “twinkle toes” by childhood bullies for his exuberant style, is finally getting the last laugh. After winning Silver at the Winter Olympics, Andy becomes a media sensation with his hilarious interviews and colorful social media posts – but all that glitters is not made of Gold medals. 

A homophobic politician won’t stop sniping at Andy on Twitter, and a jealous older rival may have designs of his own. But all that is thrown into even higher gear when Andy meets deliciously sexy speed skater Gus Sanchez, and the frigid Olympic Village sees fireworks it hasn’t witnessed since the days of Nancy and Tonya… 

Through the headlines and the hookups, Andy learns the most important thing he could ever do is stand proud atop his (very twinkly) ice skates and remain what he has struggled to be his entire life: himself, unapologetically. And the haters will just have to deal with the rest.

*

So, I've been running behind on my list of things to do. Who knew that not going to school would be much harder than going to school. I'm actually two Seth King books behind, but when I saw this released I had to read it. I, like many, was addicted to the Olympics when they were on. So reading an Olympic inspired novella was right up my alley-especially since it was written by the great Seth King. 

Andy Robbins is out and proud and just won the Silver for Men's Figure skating. When he meets and falls into lust with his longtime crush and fellow competitor Gus Sanchez things couldn't be better. Until they are. 

This is a novella, so it's short, it's fast, it's full of sass and snark and realness. What Seth Kings does with this book is he takes a global event, he takes real world things and uses them in a way that not only enhances his story but sheds light on the issues that are most prevalent.  

Andy is inspiring. He's living his best life. He doesn't take shit from those in charge, those on social media, and those school yard bullies who are dying to see him fail. He's an inspiration, just like the real life person he was based on is an inspiration. In a time where it seems like there's more hate than there is love it's stories like this that are most important. Fictional tales of Andy Robbins who says whatever's on his mind and real stories like Adam Rippon who made me cry so much because he was just himself and unashamed to be. I can't imagine how much courage it takes to finally say "enough is enough, I'm going to be me" but that is what happened at this year's Olympics. That is what happens in this book and that is why I admire and idolize Seth King. He's just who he is and writes that stories that matter.  

In a world that doesn't want you to be yourself books like this are the most important thing in the world. If there's anything to take away from this novella it's to just like your life the way you see fit. I know firsthand how hard that is. I may not have the same issues or stigma attached to who I am, but that doesn't mean it's not a daily struggle to accept myself and live life the way I want to live it. While I can't relate to the characters on a sexuality basis, I can relate on a human one. Because we're all human and all we want to do is be who we are and left the hell alone. 

My takeaway from reading Twinkle Toes is to live life well, to live it fabulously in my own way. Because it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. Maybe one day there won't be a need for these types of books, maybe one day I won't have to write these type of reviews, but if there's such a day it's a long time coming. Until then I will read and support and say and do everything so at least one other person knows that they are perfect just how they are. 

Thank you Seth King for writing the truth and being uniquely you, for making me cry happy joyous tears, and for making the two-year-old look at me like I'm a weirdo for laughing at your one-liners. 

*Quote- 

"I laugh to myself about how strange it is that sometimes the things that nearly destroy us are the things that end up giving us life." 

"You're allowed to be you." 

"Men are like diamonds: they're great to have around, and fun to look at-but not a necessity." 

"We must become the heroes of our own stories." 

-Abri 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Release; Feeble Connections

Release; Homegrown Hero

Release; Viper