Book Talk Review; Prisoned

I just got fucked over by this book


When I opened my eyes, I was in a cell, my body covered in bruises.

Not a jail.

I’d been kidnapped and imprisoned.

I wasn’t alone. I shared the cell with Garin Woods, the man I’d loved since I was a kid.

The man I couldn’t be with because of the secret. A man who would kill me if he found out what that secret was.

Someone wanted to torture me.

Torture us.

One of us deserved it.

It wasn’t Garin.

*

Well. I'm not sure what to say about this book. Prisoned pushes boundaries in the dark world. Marni Mann takes us on an intense ride throughout the course of the book.

Prisoned starts out with three friends, they're just kids being kids, growing up in a bad place and trying to survive. And then one single event changes the course of their lives. Each one takes a different path, each individual path destroys them. 

The world Mann creates is a complex one, it revolves around a single incident that happened twelve years prior. The two main characters, Kyle and Garin, are thrust together after years of being apart. They're thrown in an impossible situation. 

Kyle has been holding onto a secret for years, she's allowed the guilt to eat at her, but she can't ever speak the truth. Grain needs answers. Grain has been lost without his best friend all these years. He never understood the decision that Kyle made to push him away. 

When Kyle and Garin are prisoned together in a cell, they don't know if each breath they take will be their last, they don't know what will happen next. But one thing Kyle does know, is that they're there because of her. They're only hope would be for Kyle to bear her soul and tell her truth. 

You wouldn't think that the characters could come together and do anything other than survive. But you'd be wrong. Marni Mann wrote an erotic dark story. And the erotic part is hot. It's proof that true feelings cannot be held back, no matter what the situation is. Even though they are trapped in a horrible situation, Kyle and Garin are still able to come together as one. 

It's only after the truth comes out. Only after Kyle let's go, that the true nature of Prisoned comes out. I have to admit, I was upset with Kyle for a while, she should have admitted the truth so many times. She annoyed me for not telling the truth. Her justification was nothing. She didn't have one, and I couldn't figure out why. After a while though, it didn't matter. Because after the truth finally comes out things happen that I can't explain. 

We see things from Garin's perspective and they begin to make sense, but by the end they aren't so clear. 

I have never been fucked over so effortlessly and so brilliantly. I don't even know what to say about it. This book has left me speechless. I have to applaud Marni for that. Speechlessness never really happens after I read a book. But I don't have to ever think about the ending. I have never encountered a book that ends in a way that makes me rethink everything that just happened in the book. Marni Mann fucked me over but that is not a bad thing. 

-Abri

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Release; Feeble Connections

Release; Homegrown Hero

Release; Viper