Book Talk Review; Outlander

 One of the best books I have read in a long time. My newest obsession



 The year is 1945. 

 Claire Randall, a former combat nurse, is just back from the war and reunited with her husband on a second honeymoon when she walks through a standing stone in one of the ancient circles that dot the British Isles. 
 Suddenly she is a Sassenach—an “outlander”—in a Scotland torn by war and raiding border clans in the year of Our Lord...1743.

 Hurled back in time by forces she cannot understand, Claire is catapulted into the intrigues of lairds and spies that may threaten her life, and shatter her heart. 

 For here James Fraser, a gallant young Scots warrior, shows her a love so absolute that Claire becomes a woman torn between fidelity and desire—and between two vastly different men in two irreconcilable lives. 

This book is very different from an others I have read. It spans across lifetimes. Through love and time Diana Gabaldon weaves a story that is unforgettable. 

 Claire Randall and her husband were both dispatched to the war. Both of them forced to serve their country in the only way they can. Claire as a combat nurse and Frank as an Intelligence officer. 

 After a long separation the two meet again, hoping to find each other again. In the Scottish Highlands they find themselves reconnecting as they explore the countryside. 

 Frank, ever the scholar is researching the movements of one of his ancestors. Admit the documents there is superstition, the Highlands being a place of great mystery and magic. 

 It is here that Claire finds herself thrust into a dangerous world. Suddenly finding herself in the year of Our Lord 1743, she must survive the best she can. 

 Her own time is two hundred years in the future, how will she manage? 

 She meets a band of cattle raiders, part of Clan Mackenzie, they manage to rescue her from dishonorable English hands.  

 It is here that she meets James Fraser. 

 Claire and Jamie, two different people, barely even friends, suddenly thrust together in adventure, danger, and passion. 

 I have read a few historical romances before this book. And I really enjoyed them. 

 This is not just a historical romance, this has superstition, a bit of magic, it is sci-fi, drama, these books have so much in them that it might seem overwhelming, but not really. 

 Yes, this book is long and has a lot of information, but it needs to be long, you need all of the detail in this book. This book has a lot of history in it, it is a fictional story mixed with history and so I can forgive the page numbers. 

 This has become my obsession. It is amazing. The story is engaging, the characters are so well done. Diana has an amazing writing style. 

 There is so much I want to say about this book but I can't. It is so hard to explain this book in a few simple sentences. 

 There is so much that goes on in this book, there are multiple story-lines that revolve around the main one. 

 It is hard for a book this complex to have enough in it for the reader to stay engaged. Even when the book gets slow I felt that this book wasn't dull. 

 Everything had a place and a reason. Don't let the number of pages or the word count discourage you. Take a chance on this series. 

 There is a T.V. Series on this series. The first season is based on the first book. I highly suggest reading the book before watching the show. 

 I am aching for the second season of the show, and cannot wait for it to come on. I read about 75% of the book before I started watching the show. When I came to the point in the show that I did not read yet I stopped watching. So that I was watching and reading simotaniously.   

 *Quote- "Ye are Blood of my Blood, and Bone of my Bone. I give ye my Body, that we Two might be One. I give ye my Spirit, 'til our Life shall be Done" -Jamie (Translating Gaelic *Swoon*)

            "Don't be afraid, there's two of us now." -Jamie 

            "Then let amorous kisses dwell On our lips, begin and tell A thousand and a Hundred score A Hundred, and a Thousand more."  -Quoted from "Out of Catullus" by Richard Crashaw

            "You're tearin' my guts out, Claire." -Jamie

            "There comes a turning pint in intense physical struggle where one abandons oneself to a profligate usage of strength and bodily resource, ignoring the costs until the struggle is over. Women find this point in childbirth; men in battle. 
             Past that certain point, you lose all fear of pain or injury. Life becomes very simple at that point; you will do what you are trying to do, or die in the attempt, and it does not really matter much which." -Claire

Diana's Author Talk: http://realtalkbooktalk.blogspot.com/2015/08/book-talk-diana-gabaldon.html 
   

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Release; Feeble Connections

Release; Homegrown Hero

Release; Viper