Book Talk Review; The Weight Of Familiar Objects



Quinn:

I finally inherited my farm - but I have panic attacks when I try to deal with the financial side of it. Ellis's solution sounds simple: marry me and deal with the money himself. We all hate it, and he swore he'd never pick between Amory and me: Amory who's about to start a national tour, and even more cut out our relationship. He thinks he has no choice but to say yes.

I'm always the weak one. I'm always the broken one. Amory tells me to toughen up ... and Daddy tell him to shut up. I try to adult. I can't. I play little in the house and vomit with terror when I visit my accountant. Daddy tells me everything will be fine. But I want to grow up. I want to grow up so much ... I wish Ellis would help.

*

This book. This book almost killed me. I've been reading Julia McBryant for months now and have never been disappointed. She always blows me away with her writing and characters and this book was no exception. The Weight of Familiar Objects is the end of this series and it is the perfect way to do it. 

Quinn, Ellis, and Amory have been through a lot. They fought every step of their way for their relationship. Now Quinn's graduated and his parents gift him his dream farm and all the money that comes with it, which only adds to the zeros already in his account. It's time for the threesome to start their happily ever after...if Quinn could just adult that is. 

Poor Quinn, who was ignored his whole life and just handed money to solve all his problems, never learned how to use that money efficiently. His anxiety is through the roof and just going to the accountant makes him sick. And then Ellis proposes a solution that causes their whole world to shift on its axis. 

Ellis swore he would never choose between his boys. But the only way to help Quinn, in his mind, is to marry him and take control of not only the money but the day to day operations of the farm so Quinn can relax and focus on his horses. Ellis is Daddy. It's his job to fix things...but at what cost? 

Amory has struggled with his place in their relationship. Quinn and Ellis have been together for years and while it's been over a year since they found him and they all fell in love, those insecurities don't just go away. So when Ellis proposes his plan Amory is adrift. It doesn't help that he just got the opportunity of a lifetime, one that would require him to tour the country for months on end.  

The very foundation of their relationship is in tatters. It doesn't help that Ellis just quit his job and is training to become a high school teacher, which leaves him very unsure of how his boys are going to respond. 

When I say I cried buckets I mean it. I knew this book was going to be angsty, I just didn't anticipate how many times I would cry. My eyes hurt by the end of the night. Every single one of these three men go through it in this book. I just wanted to wrap them up and hold them all. Especially Quinn. He was the one that struggled the most, poor baby Q. 

When I wasn't crying I was being blown away by how much growth there is in this book. It's the last in the series. These characters have been together for years, but they still have room to grow and improve. There are a lot of hard truths in this book. Ones that I kind of saw coming, but didn't really understand the scope of until I was reading. And then I was back to crying. 

By the end, Quinn learns how strong he is. He's not magically cured. His anxiety is still there. He still needs his two men to help him, but he found his own solution to the problem with the money. One that I wholeheartedly approve of as I saw how devastating Ellis' plan was for them all. Amory learns his place in their relationship and he steps up in a huge way. I have loved him since we met him and I am so glad he got his chance to shine. And Ellis. Ellis learns a lot in this book. About himself. About his boys. And about how to love his boys without hurting them, giving them legs to stand on while also being their support.

While there's drama from start to finish it's not just for shock factor or to make it dramatic because it's the last book in the series. These characters need to go through what they do so their relationships with each other could be stronger. They all have different relationships with each other and together. And that is what you need in a threesome. These three prove that there are still tons of insecurities and problems that they need to work through. And they do. It hurts like all hell, but in the end it's beautiful. 

Julia McBryant puts these boys through the wringer. It's not easy to read but it is a very beautiful book that rounds out this series perfectly. Old favorites show up to give their support for the triad. A lot of hard things get dealt with. Nothing happened like I expected it to, and that is what made me love it more. The ending was romantic and what these characters needed after everything they went through. So while my heart got torn to shreds, it was put back together perfectly. 

*Quote-

"Amory tells him, every single morning: you are not broken. You are one of the strongest people I know because you never let this break you. You're still here. Ellis says: You made that choice, Quinn, when you flushed that coke, and you make it every dam day. You just have to keep making it, baby. And things'll be scary sometimes but we're here and we love you." 

"And for once, in a pickup truck on the side of the interstate, Savannah traffic whizzing by, the rise and fall of their speed droning around them, Quinn holds Amory, not the other way around." 

"They love him, they love him enough to work, they love him enough to say: you were wrong. You were wrong in a deep and horrible way, no matter how well you meant it, you fucked up in a way most people could never forgive, but we have opened our arms back up, we have opened the doors to the house you built around us. The beauty of it shakes him." 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Release; Feeble Connections

Book Talk Review: Humbled

Release; Homegrown Hero