Book Talk Review; His Surrender


The Blond Bastard got knocked on his knees...


REMI

Every Friday night, he sits in the corner of the bar, eyeing me over a glass of whiskey as I play piano on stage. We’ve never said a word to each other, yet I feel… something. An attraction unlike any other.

Then one night he finally approaches me.

He’s charming and arrogant, a playboy who only wants to add me to his list of conquests. I can’t give in to him. Getting involved with someone like Jay would only end in heartbreak, and I’ve had my heart broken too many times before.

JAY

With the snap of my fingers, I could have any man on his knees… but not Remi. He’s different. Instead of falling for my charms, he calls me out on them. We clash like fire and ice, but I can’t get him out of my head.

Too bad I don’t do relationships.

But there’s something about the handsome musician with the most soulful eyes I’ve ever seen that makes me wonder if, maybe, love is in the cards for me after all.

*His Surrender is Book 2 in the Unexpected Love series from Jaclyn Osborn. You'll find an arrogant charmer and the one man who doesn't fall for his tricks. HEA guaranteed. Though this is mostly low-angst and fun, please use the 'Look Inside' feature for possible trigger warnings*

*

I was looking forward to this book because I couldn't wait to see Jay, or better know as the blond bastard, get knocked down a peg or two. Remi not only goes toe to toe with Jay and match him with sarcasm and wit, but he also finds what he's been missing all along as well. Jaclyn Osborn can write anything. I've said it before in my other reviews and I'll keep saying it because she proves it time and time again. She turned a man-whore who was afraid of getting hurt again into someone who is able to love and trust and not change who he is, but better who he is and that is what I loved so much about the book. Because Jay didn't change who he was fundamentally, but he was shown what love really is, and that changed him. 

Remi, sweet, loving Remi. I knew when I read His Temptation that whoever Jay ended up with would have to be strong enough to put up with him and have to have the wit to go toe to toe with him verbally. Remi has been hurt by men over and over again and a playboy like Jay can't give him he love and care hat he not only wants but deserves. Or can he? 

Remi and Jay don't know why they feel something for one another, but their connection is explosive and when they get together my kindle almost caught on fire. As sweet of romances as Jaclyn Osborn writes, she also knows how to write hot, set scenes that aren't overdone but are tasteful and you can feel the intimacy and connection between the characters. Which is one of the most important things in this book. Jay has a lot of sex with a lot of different men, but it isn't until Remi that he learns what true intimacy feels like. Both of them have their needs met in this relationship, not just the sexual part. Even though it takes them a little while to figure out where they stand, especially Jay, they had that connection and saw each other on a deeper level than anyone else. 

Yes, Jay messes up. He's Jay. He's used to being closed off and doesn't know how to open himself up to love. When he does figure it out and goes after Remi, it's sweet and I love that he tries. He's not perfect and we see that firsthand, but he admits to his faults and stops letting them hold him back. When they're both open and honest with each other their relationship is so sweet and meaningful. It was everything I hoped for when it came to Jay's book and more. These two men challenged each other, they didn't let the other get away with anything, but were there for one another through it all. 

This series is called Unexpected Love series and it is truly that. These men didn't go looking for each other, but they found one another and in turn found themselves because they were finally able to be open and honest, which went a long way for them to be able to have a loving, healthy relationship. I cannot wait for what comes next in this series because these books are shaping up to be gems in the romance world. 

*Quote-

"Spring symbolized growth and new beginnings. And as I glanced at Remi walking beside me, I wondered if he'd be my new beginning. Wondered if he'd be the warmth to melt the ice around my heart." 

"Falling in love with him had been scary at first, like trying to stop a train going full speed toward a break in the tracks. But I wasn't afraid anymore. I knew the lever would put on the breaks and stop me from crashing and burning." 

"No kisses had ever turned my brain to mush, but kissing Jay did exactly that. He took away all reason and tore down my barriers." 

"Our breaths were ragged, our skin glistened with sweat, and for that one moment where we stared into each other's eyes, I felt something. Something powerful that went beyond the physical." 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Release; Feeble Connections

Book Talk Review: Humbled

Release; Homegrown Hero